Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Me I Want To Be, Even With BC!


October has my mind focused on it being Breast Cancer Awareness month. The pink ribbons, the ribbon shaped bagels at Panera, the pink racecars in NASCAR, NFL players wearing pink all month – what incredible support we give to the women and men who are affected by this diagnosis!

Every person who hears the words “you have breast cancer” is changed forever. And forever is a pretty long time. This news is not the kind of luck you hope for.

Being told you have breast cancer is a life altering circumstance indeed. Surgeries, chemo, radiation, medications and endless doctor visits are what one has to look forward to for many months. And the side effects are part of the game as well.

But see, here’s the thing. When faced with less than fortunate news, the choice is yours as to how you will react. How you will handle the setback. Selecting how you carry yourself going forward is your decision – it IS a choice!

I’d like to share one story that embraces the idea that luck is what you do with it. This woman took a distinctly inspiring off-ramp upon her diagnosis. A mindset that would guide her not only during her treatments but also for the rest of her life.

She decided that breast cancer was not going to define her, but instead chose to allow BC to refine her as a person. This experience would refine her perspective on luck, her drive to help others and her will to pay it forward.

The very weekend following her definitive diagnosis of breast cancer, she boldly and passionately stated that when she was cancer free, her goal was to pay it forward to those who came after her. She wanted to help others with BC see the perspective that she saw about life after breast cancer. A guardian angel was in the making.

She decided that very weekend the “me” she wanted to be was someone who was stronger and more giving than she ever was before. A refined woman that would be an example for all she encountered on the journey. The shackles of being a cancer patient were quickly shaken off and replaced by the crystal clear vision to be a cancer survivor. And to do it with gusto!

The “me” she chose to be is now a beacon for everyone that she meets – survivors, new diagnosees, family members, etc. And she inspires me every day as I see her thrive in life like never before.

I love the “me” that she wants to be and I am glad to have Cindy as my wife.

Cindy is my hero. And she has inspired me to refine the “me” that I want to be.

So I ask you, how do you define the “me” that you want to be? If you don’t say it, if you don’t write it down, if you don’t share it with others it will never come to be a reality.

Stretch yourself to be the “me” that will be simply amazing. Anything is possible if you tell yourself that is what you want. The hard part is giving yourself permission to dream and to be kind to yourself.

Dare to boldly define the “me” you want to be – for today, tomorrow, next week or next year – and I promise you will indeed be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment