Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Outcomes Are More Than The Results


Why is it that just the mere thought of trying something different or reaching for that next rung on the ladder can so easily turn you off at times? If it is so worth having, then what keeps you from getting really excited about getting started towards your goal? Isn’t it worth it?

Don’t sweat it or give up – I think I just might know why it is harder than you want it to be to achieve those goals in your life.

See, here’s the thing. What is it that makes achieving our personal and professional objectives so motivating? Whadya think? Well, I believe the gold mine is the result that you achieve in the end. Problem is, too often goals are defined by the outcome and not the result.

Huh?!?!

Lemme explain. Let’s take losing weight for example. Just about every person I know who has set a goal to lose weight (including myself at times) has said: “My goal is to lose XX pounds!” Great – losing XX pounds could have incredibly positive results. But how fun is it to do the hard work that it takes to lose weight? If you are like me, not much. The reason we struggle to get motivated is because we defined the outcome – lose XX pounds.

But what if you defined the highly desirable and brag-worthy result instead?

Maybe the goal statement goes something like this: My goal is to lose XX pounds so that I can _____.

Hmmm … “so that I can” … what a powerful addition to the objective!

… so that I can play run down with my kids in the yard
… so that I can start playing tennis again with my wife
… so that I can stop taking my high blood pressure medication
… so that I can fit into my only suit for my brother’s upcoming wedding
… so that I can feel good about my looks again!

See how it changes the complexion of the goal? It is much more motivating to focus on the result (“so that I can …”) than just the outcome (lose weight).

So, restating the goal might look like: “My objective is within 10 weeks to be able to start playing tennis twice a week with my wife again.” Losing weight is an outcome, an enabler to getting back onto the court and looking like Roger Federer!

This works for any type of goal or objective. Just try it! By focusing on the highly desirable result – the “so that I can” part – intrinsic motivation will boil to the surface and fuel your desire to leap forward.

One of my goals right now is to be incredibly successful as a professional speaker and be paid for doing so – and a handsome sum, I might add. That will be the result of loads of hard work – writing my bio, developing several unique and riveting keynotes, finding the marketing approaches that work for me, speaking a lot for practice and exposure, updating my website, etc. These are individual, but important, outcomes. But, focusing on the rich and desirable result of being a successful professional speaker is what keeps me motivated.

It is the rare person who is motivated by hard work. For the rest of us, we will do best to be inspired by the result we will achieve. And it will be way more fun, too.

Dare to define your goals by the end result – the payoff, so to speak – and you will indeed be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment