Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I’m Not Bossy – I Just Have Better Ideas


When I became a leader for the first time back in 1993, it was the best of times and the worst of times. I was proud to have made it to the ranks of leadership – hey, look at me! Time to call me da boss. But it was the worst of times because it was a common occurrence to come home and declare, “I have no idea what I am doing!”

And, looking back on that inaugural experience, I now know I was right on both accounts. I indeed was the boss, but I hadn’t a clue how to do it.

I had this vision that as the boss, I had to have all of the answers. I had to be the smartest one in the group. Because, if someone else was smarter than me, shouldn’t they have been the boss instead? I was convinced that was the case.

Ya know, I never gave it one brain cell of consideration that I was being bossy. I just figured my ideas were the best ones on the table. And why should I listen to anyone who told me they weren’t?!?!

See, here’s the thing. I clearly didn’t get it that being the boss didn’t mean you had to be the brightest bulb in the package. Who was I kidding – I cheated to get out of college for crying out loud! Back then I thought being a leader was synonymous with holding all of the power; holding all of the cards for no one but myself.

Sheesh, was I ever wrong.

A marker of a valued leader is that they not only share their power and decision making authority, but they give it up to those around them. Through delegation, stretch opportunities and taking risks, the role of a leader is to enable people to achieve the goals of the organization. And most often that is successful when the leader is not the smartest of them all.

Leaders, you have to allow others to be in your shoes with you. Collectively the organization is way better off if everyone understands what is required to make the business successful AND what role they, as individuals, play in making that possible. You must let them in.

It ain’t easy allowing others to “do your job.” I get it – I’ve been there. Oh, I’ve been there. But the day I made the switch to realizing others can be, and probably are, smarter than me was the day I got my membership card as a leader. Humbling and inspiring at the same time.

You may have better ideas. OR, you might not. Share and give your power away to those who can put it to good use. I am convinced you will be amazed at what you see in the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment