Monday, December 1, 2014

What Motivates You To Be Simply Amazing?

It is not uncommon when I am speaking at an event or participating in a networking activity that I will get asked the same question. Upon people hearing the name of my company, they will ask: “So, what exactly are you daring people to do?”

Love it!! This is exactly what I want folks to do when I interact with them. “Dare” is a fairly provocative word and promotes varying reactions in people. It may bring back bad memories of an older brother daring you to eat a spider or some other gross thing. Maybe you were dared by some less than desirable folks to do something illegal. I can see how circumstances like these can make you hesitant to dare to do anything. And that is what makes this a great question!

To be daring can be, as I like to say, put forth for good or for evil. Absolutely I am promoting the good side of both being daring and amazing. There are times it takes something like a dare to rattle your cage to make motion occur. And that’s OK.

So, here is what I tell people when they ask me what I am daring people to do when I say Dare To Be Amazing. I am:

Daring them to try – just simply try

Daring them to get in motion and stay in motion

Daring them to redefine what is possible

Daring them to be curious

Daring them to step over the line of “comfort”

Daring them to be refined (and not defined) by their experiences

And, Daring them to believe in themselves, more than ever!


See, here’s the thing. Being amazing is really hard work. If it were easy, it wouldn’t be called “amazing” – it would be known as NORMAL! Since it ain’t easy, it is more than likely gonna make you feel uncomfortable and maybe even unnatural. And that level of discomfort will range from a smidge to almost totally unbearable. Here’s the cool part – when it feels uncomfortable and you really want the goal, you must be doing something right. Keep it going!! My experience has shown me that it’s gotta make you squirm a little if it is worth going after.

As a painful introvert (yep, that’s me!), I have many uncomfortable moments in both my professional and personal life. Cocktail parties and networking events are like my kryptonite.

Go into room … Find rock … Crawl under rock … Emerge when time to leave.

That is my desired game plan. But you and I both know that won’t work.

In these situations, I dare to be amazing by being curious about whom I might meet, by stepping over the line of discomfort and by having a plan of attack. It is conscious with me and it requires that I believe in myself and in my abilities to meet interesting people and be interested in them. Let me repeat that – my success requires ME to BELIEVE in myself. It doesn’t work if I am just doing it for someone else’s sake. I must believe!

Whether you are working to motivate and inspire yourself, your family members or those with whom you work every day, believing we can do it is step one. No exceptions! Encourage yourself and your teams to believe, to discuss what it will feel like to reach the goal and to remove the barriers that impede the beliefs.

I want to share with you some quotes that help me every day … every speech … every workshop … every client interaction … every-less-than usual experience in my life. I wish you the same inspiration from these quotes.

“Fear is in the being, not in the doing”     ~ Jennifer Powers

         à If you believe you can do it, you will be a rockstar!!

“You will see it when you believe it”     ~ John J. Murphy

         à Opposite of “I’ll believe it when I see it.” Believe in it first!

“What’s within you is stronger than what’s in your way”     ~ Eric Weihenmayer

         à Pick a significant barrier holding you back, attack it and shatter it!

“You must believe before you can achieve”     ~ Eric Kulikowski

         à Self-imposed barriers to success can be overcome

As a leader or for you personally, keep these in your toolbox to aid in achieving higher results than you ever thought possible. I guarantee it will help you dare to be amazing!

Get on with the doin’. Be curious. Give yourself permission not to be perfect all the time. Step over the line that defines your comfort zone and be significant in the eyes of others.


Your life (and your business) becomes amazing when you do. And your life is happening right here, right now. Make it amazing – I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment