Wednesday, December 3, 2014

You Did That On Purpose, Didn’t You?

Do you remember those times as a kid when someone would wrong you in some way and you would say: “You did that on purpose, didn’t you?” You knew they did, but unlikely they would ever admit to hitting you, touching your food, talking badly about you, pushing you or whatever. The thing is they did it on purpose even if they said they didn’t.

See, here’s the thing. Doing something on purpose means there was intention. With intention there is a drive to do something specific. And when you set out to do something very specific and with a purpose – a motivation – you are more likely to achieve the goal. Hmmm … interesting.

So whether it is for good or for evil, setting a goal to do something on purpose – to be intentional – is a key ingredient to being successful at what you desire to achieve. It is happening all around you, every day. Even you are doing it. You just might not know it or even know the power of thinking and acting with a purpose. Pay attention and you will see what I mean.

Success at trying something new is enabled by diving in with a committed and clear mindset that is moving towards a defined target. Meandering along hoping for – wishing for – the good things to happen is simply a gamble. Expecting what you want either out of yourself or those that are around you (family, employees, teammates) to “just happen” … well, it ain’t gonna “just happen”. Not with any predictability or control, that is. Hope is not a plan!

It is my belief that you begin to become amazing - you begin to make progress - precisely and specifically at the point that you cross over the boundaries of your comfort zone. If you are in your comfort zone it isn’t progress – it is repeating what you already know. And that is old news!

Be curious! Dangle your toes over the edge a little! Plan, act and lead with a purpose! And inspire those around you to play along with you. I guarantee you it will feel really amazing and you are going to have fun like never before. Maybe scary fun at first, but it is oh so worth it.

By way of example of acting with intention, I am on a three-day work retreat of sorts this week. A retreat with and for myself. I am working remotely in our motorhome, parked on the shore of the Youghiogheny river near Pittsburgh. I am here for a purpose and with a TO DO list of both strategic and tactical things to achieve in these three days. I am not here relaxing (ok, maybe just a little). I intentionally left home for a few days to allow my mind to be singly focused without distractions and I arrived with goals defined. On day one, I knocked out nine of my sixteen goals. On day two, I have two really large objectives to achieve. Day three will complete the remaining items. And I know if I were in my office at home I wouldn’t be this productive or focused.

Planning and acting with a purpose. Being intentional with not only the WHAT but also the WHY of things. Sharing your goals with others – so they know what you want and maybe so they can even help you get there. And making an amazingly meaningful connection with … yourself. The outcomes are yours to keep!

One final thought to leave you with today. At the National Speakers Association annual convention that I attended last week, Mike Rayburn said this: “Have you resolved to be the best? Or are you coasting? Just remember, coasting only happens when you are going downhill.”  

Your life (and your business) becomes amazing when you do. And your life is happening right here, right now. Make it amazing – I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment