Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hey … Umm … I'm Right Over Here

So, did you ever experience this? You are walking down the hall or through the plant or in the parking lot and someone is walking towards you. Maybe you know them … or maybe not. Doesn't matter. You are both going about your own business and then, when you get within about 25 feet of them, they completely divert their eyes away from you, look the other way and try to act as if you don't exist. 

Hello! I'm right over here! Don't you see me? What's so hard about saying hello to me or even just giving me an obligatory head nod, for gosh sake. Am I that repulsive?

These encounters bother me. Why can't people just look at me and say hello, or good morning? Or for that matter, just gimme a cave man grunt. Anything to let me know you acknowledge my being! Sheesh!

Personally, I never let people get away with it. No matter how hard they are trying to ignore me, I will lift their cloak of invisibility with a gleeful "good morning" or "how's it going" just to shake them up. And maybe, just maybe, next time I see them they won't be so intent on acting like they can't see me.

Does this happen to you? Bugs the crap outta me. I see it as a chance to make a new acquaintance. 

See, here’s the thing. You just never know what positive can come from just saying hello to someone. Just shaking them out of their funk to elicit a reaction. "Hey, I'm right over here!" I have ignited many new casual relationships just by saying good morning to someone who I didn't previously know very well. And it amazes me every time.

As a leader, having even that casual relationship with those that work for you and those that work around you is a key to success. It shows you care. It shows you are authentic. And it shows that you can relate. Authenticity and trust are hallmarks of a leader that makes a difference through the eyes of those they serve. 

Say hello … ask how they are doing today … let them know they have cool shoes on … talk about last night's Pens game. Just be real and make a connection. The rewards will come back to you in spades over time. 

I was told once by a consultant friend that he can always tell when he is on a plant tour with a leader how connected that leader is with the employees working in the plant. When they enter a work area, if all of the employees look away and act busy, there is little connection with the leader. But if the employees are inviting and greet the leader and his/her guests, then my friend concludes that the leader is well liked and has a relationship with the employees. Make sense? Does to me. It jives with my experiences, too.

Give people a reason to connect with you. It can all start with one little hello.

Your life (and your business) becomes amazing when you do. And your life is happening right here, right now. Make it amazing – I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment