Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Go Ahead, Give Me Some Attitude


Go Ahead, Give Me Some Attitude

When I was growing up, it was not unusual for me to be on the receiving end of someone saying something like “don’t give me your attitude, mister.” In general, I pretty much say what I think – my “verbal filter” is often taking a break when I need it the most. More often than not, though, choosing my attitude has worked in my favor to open some wonderful doors.

Attitudes are powerful things. And the real beauty is that the attitude you possess is completely your decision, your choice. My last newsletter focused on making choices that can change your day, your week, your year and your life. The attitude you elect in every situation on every day is one of the most meaningful choices you make. It sets the tone for how both you and those around you feel about YOU. Yep, people around you are strongly influenced (positively or negatively) by your attitude. Your goal is to inspire them to be on your side. You don’t want them scratching their heads in frustration or confusion.

I love quotes that are motivating because they make me reflect on what they mean to me. And they indeed affect my attitude towards life. To help tell the story about the value of choosing your attitude, I share the following favorite quotes:

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.”

“Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”

“If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one.”

“Happiness is an attitude.  We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong.  The amount of work is the same.”

“Every thought is a seed.  If you plant crab apples, don't count on harvesting Golden Delicious.”

“The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude.”

“When you feel dog tired at night, it may be because you've growled all day long.”

“Sometimes life's Hell.  But hey!  Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.”

“Wag more.  Bark less.”

And, from the new song by Kelly Clarkson, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger … it’s up to me, myself and I.”

If you keep the final objectives in mind, the obstacles will be easily overcome. Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine your starting point. The power to affect your own future lies squarely in your hands. So choose to do something about it by proactively thinking about and selecting your best attitude.

See, here's the thing. It doesn’t take a book full of studies to know that success is the result of inspiring one’s self and others with a winning attitude. Every sports team, every non-profit, every fortune 500 company is comprised of very bright and talented people. What is it that separates the champs from the also rans? The champs have defined what winning looks like. They ensure that their teams know how great it will feel to succeed. And the winners talk about winning and losing every single day. Simply, they have chosen to win – what a great attitude!

What does winning look like for you? What motivates you every day to reach for the next rung on the ladder? Why are you inspired? Knowing the answers to these questions will aid in why you choose your attitude each day.

Here is your homework – I want to hear from you the quotes or mantras that inspire you and help you define winning every day. My personal favorite is “Live life like you mean it.” That quote often pushes me to limits that might otherwise be easy to avoid. I have this mantra on the wall in my office and on the wall in my garage. It truly drives my attitude. What is your mantra? Email me back with your favorites and we can inspire each other through our attitudes. Because I know for certain that you are amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment