Thursday, March 5, 2015

Dare To Be Amazing – But How?

Often when I am at a speaking engagement or a networking event, people will look at the name of my business (Dare To Be Amazing) and ask what I am daring people to do. I love that question and enjoy the conversation that ensues. In the end, the person who asks walks away with a smile and some inspiration.

Dare To Be Amazing is not just a suggestion, but is a way of life for me and many others. And I encourage the same for every one of you as you make decisions each hour of each day on how to live your life. Candidly, what other option do you have?

One of the quotes I admire the most is taken from a speech given by Theodore Roosevelt on April 23, 1910. Those who know me appreciate how much it means, so much so that for Christmas this past year my nieces and nephews gifted me a large print with this quote on it. It is way cool!

To solidify in your mind the most impactful way to dare to be amazing, here is an excerpt from that speech over 100 years ago. It has now been titled “In The Arena.”

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”


See, here’s the thing. Critics don’t make the world, your job, or your family better. Those who take risks and take action do. Make sense? Just ask the Seattle Seahawks. It was their game to win or lose at the Super Bowl, not ours. Who are we to criticize the play called at the end of the game?

When I dare you to be amazing, I am daring you to have courage. I am daring you to try. To get in motion and stay in motion. To be curious about what is possible if you push just a little harder. To be refined by your experiences and not defined by those things that work against you. And, as Teddy Roosevelt said in 1910, I am daring you to step into the arena and play the game. To dare greatly!

Courage is defined as the ability to do something that frightens you; to have strength in the face of challenge. For me, courage is the willingness to try something even though it might make me sweat, hurt or even cry a little. Kind of like my Crossfit workout this morning! I wanted to quit at least five times but I kept hearing Teddy in my head. He inspired me to push through the pain … to be brave!

Sitting on the sidelines and wondering what could be is not an ingredient of success. The risks and steps you take do not have to be ginormous. What is one thing you could do today that will progress you two inches in the direction of your goal? Just two inches!! That’s it…no more…stop right there and admire your progress. Celebrate and stay in the arena to do it again and again and again.

BE OBSESSED DAILY WITH DISCOVERING THE POSSIBILITIES YOU HOLD IN YOUR VERY HANDS.


Your life (and your business) becomes amazing when you do. And your life is happening right here, right now. Make it amazing – I dare ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment